Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Alcohol Inks

I consider myself to be pretty crafty.  I'll try my hand at just about anything.  A few months back my daughter broke some small square decorative plates I had displayed on my kitchen wall.  It seems I can't find anything I like or small enough to put in their place.

While surfingin Pinterest last week, I came across these really cool looking tiles and thought these would be perfect replacements.


At first I thought it was a painting - - I love all the colors, but then read further and found it was a DIY project with Alcohol Inks.  Never even heard of that stuff so I was intrigued.  I was hoping real alcohol was involved.  Can't win them all.

We are finally done with the SCY Swim Season so I have my weekends again and I can't think of a better way to spend my first free weekend working on my first DIY Craft project of the year.  I can't wait to hit Michael's and pick up the Alcohol Inks and Solution and some tiles from Home Depot.

Here are the directions that I found online:
alcohol ink dries very quickly on non-porous surfaces. start with a thin layer of the alcohol blending solution, spreading it evenly with a toothbrush. (this diffuses the color, brings out the saturation and extends the drying time.) then squeeze big drops of one color on the tile and watch it do the weirdest stuff ever.
Source:  Artsyville

She mentions being creative by blowing through a straw to blend the colors or using the tip of a Q-tip to swirl them together, plus a few other ideas.  You have to check it out.

I actually might pick some up tomorrow afternoon and "hit the bottle" so to speak!  I have some ideas of my own and will definatley post the after-pics, along with any tips and tricks I discover along the way.

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment